Friday, April 9, 2010

My sister and I were hit by my Dad when we were little kids and his temper was flaring. I now have the belief that hitting a child is bad. But then how do you discipline a 3 year old who runs out into the street? Is it ever OK to hit (or I guess spank) a child?


W's Reply
There is a wide disparity of views on this subject. We believe hitting a child in anger, is never appropriate. Situations such as you have described, need immediate and effective discipline. We would use spanking, and then would follow through with holding them in love, and explaining how dangerous the action was. Most experts who do recommend spanking, reserve it for instances when the child has willfully broken a rule which they have clearly understood in the past, or when their actions could cause bodily harm.

N's Reply
Ask the Holy Spirit to help you get Gods view. Read the Word for His view. Read good Christian books on raising children. I am a big fan of reading everything you can on this matter because it is one of the hardest "jobs" I have ever had BUT the most rewarding as they grow into amazing character! I also believe that spanking is an "EVENT" separated from anger!!!!

L's Reply
The general rule of thumb I give the parents of my child clients, is to monitor yourself. If you are extremely angry, then do not spank. Wait until you are in a calmer place so that the spanking or the discipline won't be extreme or hurtful. Otherwise, in dangerous situations like this, a spanking and a time out (one minute for every year) can be a way you discipline this behavior. I would explain to the child (in developmentally appropriate language) why he was spanked " because he could get hit by a car in the street and it is dangerous." Spanking should be used seldomly, but can be used in disciplining extremely out of line behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment